Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Learning to stay

Some days are just easier than others, you know that. When you really want something, really, really want something it can seem like forever before you get it. The more you learn patience and how to let go the easier it gets. And so Elsie is learning about patience and waiting.
Elsie is still very underweight so she is very motivated by food. She learned to sit in a matter of minutes. Staying took a bit longer but she got it. I think she watched Flora, an old pro at this, for hints on what to do. I never asked her to look at me before I release her, but Flora does. Now, each time, Elsie gives me those eyes. I never make her wait very long because I know that she is so very hungry.

Elsie will eat just about anything. In the morning she loves to eat some fruit and lately that has been fresh mangoes. Being a mostly vegetarian dog gives Elsie a wide palate. She does eat raw eggs from our rescued hens and occasionally gets some cheese if it falls on the floor. One of her favorite things is seitan, or vital wheat gluten, or wheat meat. This meat alternative has over 3 times more protein ounce for ounce than muscle tissue from a cow, and it is cruelty free. I love animals, all animals. I cannot feed my pups a cruel meal. This is my path and obviously theirs since they chose to live here. This is not to say that Elsie hasn't been out hunting the ground squirrels and chipmunks that are now appearing, but that is part of her prey drive. She has yet to catch one.

Please enjoy a cruelty free meal at least once a week. The other animals will thank you for being compassionate. Namaste - Elsie

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elsie what a CUTE face! We are impressed with your patience.
    xoxoxox
    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, it is short lived, but now she offers a sit without being asked at all. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete